Thursday, June 1, 2017

Applying & Joining

Applying & Joining


I was pointed to the internship by Trish McCall.
About the Program:
  • HpccSystems is a state of the art solution for the high performance computing and they have numerous open summer projects to choose from(https://goo.gl/ePbAcR).  
  • Its 10-12 week program based on your availability.
  • I was interested in the ECL projects and particularly ECL-ML since machine learning was part of my research and more importantly I get to implement a state of the art machine learning algorithm for an industrial application.
  • My attention was drawn to the Gradient Boosting Algorithms project. The prime requirement was to implement Gradient Boosting Trees for Classification and Regression.
  • I wrote a 3 page detailed proposal and sent it to the Project Manager(Dr John Holt) and the Intern Program Manager(Lorraine Chapman). 
  • Luckily, they liked my proposal and offered me a position over the summer.
  • The program is really flexible and LN offers you a choice of either working from their Alpharetta office or from home. I chose home since to work from home as there was a Research Paper I am working on over the summer and need access to my lab. Lorraine was very supportive on this.
  • As part of my research I also needed to access some data from LN servers which required me to be a physically present in an LN office. Lorraine, Dr Villanustre and Dr Holt were very supportive and they arranged a desk space for me in their Raleigh office.
Thus, I was also set to start my work @ LexisNexis for Summer 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment